08 September 2007

Life at 60

This cartoon used to be funny.

As you may be able to discern, this is the day of my 60th birthday.
There is supposed to be a party tonight with family, friends, and few others, which will be nice.

Quite frankly, other than a painfully sore back from picking up my grandson, I don't feel much that tells me I'm sixty.


Gerd Lüdemann has published a review of Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedict's book, Jesus of Nazareth. I know Ratzinger more as a theologian than as a Pope, and although I am not a Roman Catholic, I have respect for his writing and thinking. I wish I could say the same for Lüdemann. He is a prime example of a good scholar who has enshrined Reason as the mirror and filter for his thinking, so much so that his scholarship ends up as a procrustean bed for religion, especially Christianity.

The reason I mention it is that the spring 2007 (34) issue of the Karl Barth Society Newsletter has a discussion on the theology of German theologian Wolf Krötke, who spoke about the "inarticulate, amorphous and diffusely vague" atheism that marks the situation of the church in eastern Germany, a kind of atheism that offers no arguments against God, for it is simply assumed that God is not there. This is the impression that I get when I read Lüdemann.


Anyway, having said all that, just as a way to celebrate another boundary marker, here is a song from my younger days that I enjoyed/enjoy, so take a look and listen.

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment